Wednesday, January 23, 2008

God is in the Rain

"God is in the Rain"
                   -Evie 

Such a nice quote from one of my favorite movies :) Although I think its a simple and easily perverted statement, every time it rains the quote comes to mind and a rush of euphoria fills my entire being. Anyone who knows me knows how much I absolutely love the rain. To be out in it, clothed warmly or not, is a great joy that I enjoy only rarely (horrible Southern California weather). Tonight as I was walking to the caf I couldn't help but wear a huge smile as I walked from my apartment, looking up and seeing the beautiful drops of water falling suddenly out of the black sky and landing unselectively both on me and around me. The sweet smell of fresh, cold water rose through my nostrils and excited my olfactory nerves which in turn caused my heart to race and blood to pump such that I simply stood in appreciation of the miracle of God's wondrous creation. 
His gift of rain immediately brings to mind His gift of love. He pours out His love from Heaven, unrestrained in the amount He gives to His children, and washes them pure by it. Like rain, it cleanses, refreshes, and propagates growth of beautiful things :) I cannot fully explain the reason I enjoy the rain so thoroughly, neither can I explain more about why I have the same reaction when I think on His love. There are, of course, the obvious reasons due to the consequent benefits of His love, but I believe one must personally experience His love to know the joy I am speaking of. For this very reason I get so excited when it rains. I am somehow wrapped in a tangible example of how His grace and love plays out in my life. Rain tingles all my senses and because of its inseparable tie to the idea of grace, this reaction somehow reciprocates when I think of grace :)
Thank you, God, for the rain!

8 comments:

carly said...

aw this makes me smile:) you should move to seattle or something, seriously. or England.

or Germany...

:) hahaha.

Kimberly Mallard said...

Dain, what movie is this from?

Kimberly Mallard said...

Oh man I should have known that...I really liked that movie.

Silly boy...register. :)

The O's said...

I know that you posted this sometime ago, but when I googled "God is in the rain" this is the first hit that came up. Long story as to why I was googling it, but I just had to say thank you! You phrased it beautifully and your words were just what I needed to hear. Thanks! :)

Albu said...

How true that is :) , How can we not love rain ? if we are made 70...80 % of water ? and rain is one of the mowst purest form of water. The movie is what drove me here , by googeling .

LoneStar said...

We are like drops of rain, formed as we fall not knowing where we land or what will come of us. God has a plan for every drop of rain; and every droplet has a testimony of perfect faith by falling freely to the ground. I imagine myself falling from the heights not knowing where God will have me fall, not knowing if I will return to the clouds, again and again. I know now, what I did not know in my youth; the everything will glorify God. Forever and ever, and ever after that. amen.

LoneStar said...

The movie is called: V for Vandetta

Evie lets go of her fears, fear of life, fear of dieing, and steps out into the rain and comes to understand the phrase that her mother use to use: God is in the rain. It's a very powerful moment, wonderfully directed.

CraigC said...

Actually it was Valerie who said it. Evie was reading from her scroll. She does say it eventually, but it was Valerie's epiphany.

I still watch that movie when I need hope.