Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where My Faith Lies

"...that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." - 1 Corinthians 2:5

It seems to me that I am always in a battle of where to place my faith. On one hand, I have the world declaring that I should be a certain person, embrace certain things, and walk a certain way. And at first glance, it may appear valid. After all, its what my "heart" wants, right? Its what my natural man would do, without any influence from the Spirit of God. Is that not the pinnacle of man's goals, to fulfill all desires one might have and in that find happiness? At the very least this is what we are told by the 'wisdom of man'. 

Yet in myself (not because it is there naturally, but because the Sovereign God has placed it there) I find a better wisdom. Wisdom far beyond the wisdom of man, for "the foolishness of God is wiser than men" and in it, the power of God. The power of God to save sinners like myself from walking in the lusts of the flesh and the futility of sin. This power is displayed when, walking with Him, I see to the right and to the left former things that my flesh would have me grab hold of and for an instant I am almost fooled into believing these things to be good. Yet the power of God and the wisdom of God has taught me otherwise. 

By His grace, we are able to shut out the world's voice. Our faith does not have to come from the wisdom of men, and indeed it cannot. Instead let it rest in the power of God, who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. If this is able to save a sinner like me, surely it can save the lowest of men. 

...I'm off to do physics. See you all soon :)

1 comment:

Becca said...

"This power is displayed when, walking with Him, I see to the right and to the left former things that my flesh would have me grab hold of and for an instant I am almost fooled into believing these things to be good. Yet the power of God and the wisdom of God has taught me otherwise."

I read this and thought of Proverbs 4:25-27 which says, "Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil." Just wanted to share that...